Jaspersoft Community Survey reveals SaaS applications often lack business intelligence.
Gap being filled by standalone SaaS BI applications and increasingly by incorporation of BI in applications built on Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) environments.
San Francisco, June 25, 2012 - Jaspersoft, the world’s most widely used business intelligence (BI) platform, today published the results of its Cloud BI survey, which addresses both Software-as-a-Service, deployed as a standalone application in the Cloud for business users (SaaS) and Platform-as-a-Service, allowing developers to embed BI inside their Cloud BI environments (PaaS). The results of the global survey of almost 300 Jaspersoft community members showed that just over a third (39 percent) of respondents’ SaaS applications do not currently embed reports, dashboards or analytics. As a result, respondents are increasingly turning to SaaS BI to address this gap with 31 percent already implementing this technology, and a further 33 percent planning to in the next two years. A surprisingly high number of respondents (14 percent) are already using PaaS, exploiting the cloud and incorporating BI directly into their apps.
The survey, carried out in May 2012, also revealed that within two years, nearly half of the organizations (45 percent) will be using PaaS. Businesses also highlighted the agility to rapidly deploy both SaaS BI (67 percent) and PaaS (67 percent) as a top three benefit. Surprisingly, less than half of the respondents cited money-saving as one of the top three benefits.
Jim Bell, CMO of Jaspersoft said, “Despite it being a relatively nascent technology, PaaS is already making its mark. Add to this the fact that over 60 percent of organizations’ SaaS applications do not include BI functionality and you can see there is a desire for BI capabilities for both PaaS and SaaS applications. The good news is that a new generation of Cloud applications are being built with BI already integrated.”
Further findings from the survey included:
- Security of data remains a concern of SaaS BI, despite constant reassurance from vendors and experts, 75 percent cited it as a worry. This is shortly followed by having someone else “own” their data (62 percent) and reliability of the Cloud (59 percent)
- Over half (55 percent) use SaaS BI to deliver services to an external audience, typically provided within another application, while 46 percent use it to deliver services to an internal audience and to mobile devices
- Less than half (46 percent) find it “difficult” to get data to and from the Cloud with SaaS BI
- 45 percent said they currently use or have plans to use PaaS in the coming 24 months
- The main benefits for PaaS were identified as being able to build and deploy applications or services even faster (67 percent) and cost savings (55 percent)
Bell continued, “It’s also interesting to see that agility is becoming more of a priority for the BI industry than actual cost savings, showing a possible shift in priorities when it comes to results. With the advent of Cloud applications, complete with integrated BI, organisations will increasingly see modern, flexible BI without having to build it or provision it standalone.”
- Follow Jaspersoft on Twitter
- Like Jaspersoft on Facebook
- Read Jaspersoft CEO, Brian Gentile’s blog, The Open Book on BI
- Get up-to-date on BI Industry News
Jaspersoft provides the most flexible, cost effective and widely deployed Business Intelligence (BI) suite in the world, enabling better decision-making through highly interactive reports, dashboards and analytics. By leading in support for Cloud, big data, and mobile deployments, Jaspersoft helps its customers deliver on the promise of self-service BI at scale. Leveraging a commercial open source business model and a Community of over 275,000 registered members, Jaspersoft's open source BI software has been downloaded more than 16 million times. Jaspersoft production deployments, in excess of 175,000, power 130,000 data-driven applications spanning 15,000 commercial customers. Jaspersoft is privately held and has locations around the world. For more information visit: http://www.jaspersoft.com and http://www.jasperforge.org.