In this activity you explore the iReport interface and panels.
Audio is included in this module.
Begin by clicking the Window menu to view the names of iReport panels.
Note: The Report Inspector panel appears.
For the purpose of training, when you continue to the next frame, a sample report opens to further explore the Report Inspector.
Note: The report appears next to the Report Inspector panel, and the Report Inspector is populated with report elements. The Report Inspector lets you view how elements are distributed in a report.
To specify a report's data source, either click the button to add a new one, or click the drop-down list and select an existing data source.
Click the Report Datasources button to investigate the connections window.
Click the Close button to close this window.
The menu shows a list of the panels and palettes available in iReport.
Many of iReport's most powerful features are accessible from the main menu:
- Select Preview to specify the application with which to preview a report
- Select Tools > Options to add files to the Classpath, configure the viewer applications to preview your reports, or specify export options
- Select the Window menu to make visible any of the panels or palettes
The Connections / Datasources window appears. This window allows you to add, modify, delete or select a data source.
Next, open the Report Inspector panel.
Click the Window menu.
Click the Report Inspector menu item to open that panel.
Just above the report template, the designer tool bar provides many useful tabs and buttons to manage report lifecycle processes:
- Designer tab: Returns to design view so you can edit the report
- XML tab: Displays the JRXML source markup
- Preview tab: Executes the report query against the selected data source and generates a preview of the report
- Report Query: Allows you to write/edit a SQL query
- Zoom In/Out: Provides a closer or more distant view of the report
- Compile: Turns the JRXML source into a compiled .jasper file
Click the Palette menu item.
The Report Elements palette appears. Chart, image, text, frame, and geometric shapes are available here. Drag any element from the palette into the design window to add that element to a report.
Next, open the Properties panel.
Click the Properties menu item.
In the Report Inspector, expand the Detail 1 node.
Click to select the
The Properties panel appears. When you select a report element in either the Report Inspector or the design window, you can view and edit the report element properties here.
You edit the field's properties in the Properties panel.
The Design Window (or Design Area) is the center panel in which the report displays, and serves as the workspace in which you add and delete report elements and modify the report layout.
Next, open the Formatting Tools panel.
Click the Formatting Tools menu item.
The Formatting Tools panel appears. In this panel, specify an element's length, width, location, and vertical and horizontal alignment.
Now, open the Repository Navigator.
Click the JasperReports Server Repository menu item.
The Repository Navigator panel appears. The Repository Navigator (also called the JasperReports Server Plugin) facilitates your remote interaction with the JasperReports Server repository from within iReport. The Repository is not yet configured; this is done in a later activity.
The Report Problems Window appears. Check the Report Problems Window for messages that may help you identify a problem or error when your report does not view properly.
Finally, open the Styles Library panel.
The Styles Library panel appears. This panel offers easy access to default styles and your custom styles.
When a report element is selected in the Report Inspector, it is also highlighted in the report by a light-brown selection rectangle.
In the Report Inspector you can:
- Right-click the top node (named for the report) to access configuration features
- Select any report element to view and edit its properties
- Move elements from one part of the report to another
You successfully navigated the iReport interface and panels.
View the Online Learning Portal here.